This page offers a fairly comprehensive list of all of my writings, including books I have written or edited, anthologies I have been included in, individual articles and essays I have written, my chapbooks (i.e., small, self-published collections of my poetry and/or essays), and academic papers. For each category, writings appear in reverse chronological order, with more recent works at the top of the list.
In addition, I have a couple of webpages that are devoted entirely to specific topics in trans politics that I am interested in. TS Psychology compiles pieces that I have written that critique and debunk psychological depictions of trans people. And Frustration focuses on the issues of trans woman-exclusion and trans woman-irrelvancy in women's spaces and in queer/trans politics. Also, many smaller pieces that are not listed here can be found on my blog.
noteworthy recent additions:
Trans Feminism: Theres No Conundrum About It recently appeared on Ms. Magazine blog, and my Trans-misogyny primer was recently made available on my blog.
The following are anthologies that have included my work. Most of the links will take you to the Amazon.com site for the book, so that you can find out more about it - but I encourage you to buy it from an independent bookstore if you can!
- Transfeminist Perspectives in and beyond Transgender and Gender Studies, edited by Anne Enke (Temple University Press, 2012). Includes my essay Reclaiming Femininity.
- Trans/Love: Radical Sex, Love & Relationships Beyond the Gender Binary, edited by Morty Diamond (Manic D Press, 2011). Includes my piece Cherry Picking.
- Take Me There: Trans and Genderqueer Erotica, edited by Tristan Taormino (Cleis Press, 2011). Includes my piece Small Blue Thing.
- Gender Outlaws: The Next Generation, edited by Kate Bornstein and S. Bear Bergman (Seal Press, 2010). Includes my contribution Performance Piece.
- She's Shameless: Women Write About Growing Up, Rocking Out and Fighting Back, eds. Stacey May Fowles and Megan Griffith-Greene (Tightrope Books, 2009). Includes my piece Ophelia Revisited.
- Yes Means Yes: Visions of Female Sexual Power and A World Without Rape, edited by Jaclyn Friedman and Jessica Valenti; published by Seal Press, 2009. Includes my contribution Why Nice Guys Finish Last.
- Desire: Women Write About Wanting, edited by Lisa Solod Warren; published by Seal Press, 2007. Includes my contribution At Odds in which I describe the way I experienced my desire to be female when I was younger.
- Word Warriors: 35 Women Leaders in the Spoken Word Revolution, edited by Alix Olson with a foreword by Eve Ensler; published by Seal Press, 2007. Includes two of my spoken word pieces (Sleeping Sickness and Vice Versa) and a new essay called Exceeding Expectations.
- Bitchfest: Ten Years of Cultural Criticism from the Pages of Bitch Magazine, edited by Lisa Jervis and Andi Zeisler; published by Farrar Straus & Giroux in 2006. Includes my contribution Skirt Chasers: Why the Media Dresses the Trans Revolution in Lipstick and Heels.
Here is a list of articles, essays, and poems that I have written for various magazines, webzines, and/or my own blog:
- My personal essay Laura Jane Grace and coming out as trans in the public eye appeared on my blog on 5-30-12.
- My essay Trans Feminism: Theres No Conundrum About It appeared on Ms. Magazine blog, April 18, 2012.
- My Trans-misogyny primer was made available on my blog on 4-3-12.
- My personal essay Adjustments (a 2011 personal retrospective) first appeared on my blog on 2-2-12.
- My essay A Transsexual Versus Transgender Intervention first appeared on my blog on 9-8-11. Shortly thereafter, I wrote a follow up called Postscript for my TS-vs-TG-Intervention.
- My personal essay Skin first appeared on my blog on 12-19-10.
- My essay Bisexuality does not reinforce the gender binary was published on the webzine The Scavenger on October 10, 2010.
- Bitch Media published my piece Rave On: Julia Serano on Daring to Be Bad on July 15, 2009.
- Whipping Girl FAQ #4: On cissexual, cisgender, and cis privilege first appeared on my blog on 5-14-09.
- Whipping Girl FAQ #3: Submissive Streak first appeared on my blog on 8-22-08.
- My article Rethinking Sexism: How Trans Women Challenge Feminism, which discusses Michfest, feminism, and new directions in trans activism, appeared on the progressive news website AlterNet.org on August 5, 2008.
- My peer commentary A Matter of Perspective: A Transsexual Woman-Centric Critique of Dregers Scholarly History of the Bailey Controversy was published in the psychology journal Archives of Sexual Behavior, Volume 37, Number 3, June, 2008.
- Out Magazine invited me to interview Candis Cayne for their April 2008 transgender issue.
- Whipping Girl FAQ #2: On the words transsexual, transgender and queer first appeared on my blog on 12-31-07.
- Whipping Girl FAQ #1: The necklace issue first appeared on my blog on 11-24-07.
- My poem Scared to Death appeared on my blog on Transgender Day of Remembrance, 11-20-07.
- My spoken word poem Performance Piece is included as part of Gay Utopia: A Symposium on Sex and the Future.
- On November 19, 2007, Feministing.com posted an article I wrote entitled Theres Something About Deception. (note: the link takes you to TransGriots blog, where it was cross-posted.)
- On August 24, 2007, Feministing.com posted an article I wrote about the ongoing J. Michael Bailey controversy.
- An excerpt from Whipping Girl entitled Welcome to the New Gender Binary! appears in issue #12 (2007) of other magazine.
- My piece Gendercator-centered dialogs appeared on my blog on 7-12-07.
- An excerpt from Whipping Girl entitled The Future of Gender Activism appears in issue #1 (2007) of make/shift magazine.
- my review of the book Transgender Rights (Paisley Currah, Richard M. Juang, and Shannon Price Minter, editors) appears in LiP Magazine #7, 2007.
- In August 2006, I wrote a web-post entitled Frustration that has since evolved into a collection of new thoughts and rants regarding the issue of trans woman-inclusion in lesbian and women-only spaces.
- My feature article Skirt Chasers: Why the Media Depicts the Trans Revolution in Lipstick and Heels appears in Bitch Magazine #26 in Fall of 2004.
- Scared to Death was the November 2004 Featured Poem on ButchDykeBoy.com. read it here!
- My piece Vice Versa appears in The Big Ugly Review issue #1, The First Time, in 2004. read it here!
- The poem "Either Or" appears in Transgender Tapestry issue #105, Spring 2004. read it here!
- The article "Mirror Image" appears in Cherry Bomb issue #4, 2004 (San Francisco, CA).
- An excerpt from the poem "Cocky" and an interview with Julia can be found in Michelle Tea's article Transmissions from Camp Trans in The Believer, Nov 2003 issue (San Francisco, CA).
- The poem "Sleeping Sickness" appears in Clamor Magazine #23 - November/December 2003 (Toledo, OH). read it here!
- My poem "Super Hero" appears in Son of Words, 2003. read it here!
- My poem "Mix and Match" appears in Holy Titclamps #19, Summer, 2003 (San Francisco, CA). read it here!
- My essay Legally Married Lesbians appears in Kitchen
Sink, issue #3, 2003 (Oakland, CA).
- My poem "Barrette Manifesto" appears in the Cubby Missalette - The Girly Mag issue, 2002 (Oakland, CA). read it here!
The following are articles that I have written for academic journals:
- Serano, Julia M. (2010). The Case Against Autogynephilia. International Journal of Transgenderism, Volume 12, Issue 3, pp. 176-187. [PDF] click for article.
- Liubicich, D.M., Serano, J.M., Pavlopoulos, A., Kontarakis, Z., Protas, M.E., Kwan, E., Chatterjee, S., Tran, K.D., Averof, M., Patel, N.H., 2009. Knockdown of Parhyale Ultrabithorax recapitulates evolutionary changes in crustacean appendage morphology. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 106, 13892-13896.
- Pavlopoulos, A., Kontarakis, Z., Liubicich, D.M., Serano, J.M., Akam, M., Patel, N.H., Averof, M., 2009. Probing the evolution of appendage specialization by Hox gene misexpression in an emerging model crustacean, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 106, 13897-13902.
- Serano, J. (2008). A Matter of Perspective: A Transsexual Woman-Centric Critique of Dregers Scholarly History of the Bailey Controversy. Archives of Sexual Behavior 37 (3), 491-494. [PDF] click for article.
- Serano, J. and Rubin, G. M. (2003). The Drosophila synaptotagmin-like protein bitesize is required for growth and has mRNA localization sequences within its open reading frame. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100, 13368-13373. [PDF] click for article
- Page-McCaw, A., Serano, J., Santˇ, J. and Rubin, G.M. (2003) Drosophila Matrix Metalloproteinases are required for tissue remodeling but not embryonic development. Developmental Cell 4, 95-106.
- Littleton, J. T.*, Serano, T. L.*, Rubin, G. M., Ganetzky, B. and Chapman, E. R. (1999). Synaptic function modulated by changes in the ratio of Synaptotagmin I and IV. Nature 400, 757-760.
* these authors contributed equally to this work
- Kopczynski, C. C., Noodermeer, J. N., Serano, T. L., Chen, W.-Y., Pendleton, J. D., Lewis, S., Goodman, C. S. and Rubin, G. M. (1998). A high throughput screen to identify secreted and transmembrane proteins involved in Drosophila embryogenesis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 95, 9973-9978.
- Karlin-McGinness, M., Serano, T. L. and Cohen, R. S. (1996). Comparative analysis of the kinetics and dynamics of K10, bicoid, and oskar mRNA localization in the Drosophila oocyte. Dev. Genet. 19, 238-248.
- Serano, T. L. and Cohen, R. S. (1995). A small predicted stem-loop structure mediates oocyte localization of Drosophila K10 mRNA. Development 121, 3809-3818.
- Serano, T. L. and Cohen, R. S. (1995). Gratuitous mRNA localization in the Drosophila oocyte. Development 121, 3013-3021.
- Serano, T. L., Karlin-McGinness, M. and Cohen, R. S. (1995). The role of fs(1)K10 in the localization of the mRNA of the TGFalpha homolog gurken within the Drosophila oocyte. Mech. of Dev. 51, 183-192.
- Cohen, R. S. and Serano, T. L. (1995). mRNA localization and function of the Drosophila fs(1)K10 gene. In Localized RNAs (ed. H. D. Lipshitz), pp. 99-112. Austin: R. G. Landes.
- Serano, T. L., Cheung, H.-K., Frank, L. H. and Cohen, R. S. (1994). P element transformation vectors for studying Drosophila melanogaster oogenesis and early embryogenesis. Gene 138, 181-186.
- Cheung, H.-K., Serano, T. L. and Cohen, R. S. (1992). Evidence for a highly selective RNA transport system and its role in establishing the dorsoventral axis of the Drosophila egg. Development 114, 653-661.
the following chapbooks are all smaller, self-published books that I have put out in the past...
||On the Outside Looking In
is a 36 page, 4 essay chapbook providing a trans woman's perspective on feminism and the exclusion of trans women from lesbian and women-only spaces, Published
by Hot Tranny Action (Oakland, CA), copyright 2005.
is a 56 page chapbook containing 16 of Julia's spoken word pieces. Published
by Hot Tranny Action (Oakland, CA), copyright 2004.
Chapbook" is a two poem chapbook plus baby pictures released
in July, 2003! Published by Switch Hitter Press (Oakland, CA), copyright
is a 33 page chapbook that comes with a complementary 13 track CD!
It features eleven spoken word pieces and two Bitesize songs. Published
by Switch Hitter Press (Oakland, CA), copyright 2002.
At this time, all of the published song lyrics I've written can be found on the Bitesize lyrics page.